Date & time: Wednesday 19 August 2015, 13.30-17.00
Objective: To provide insight into the use of local statistics and geographically weighted approaches to identify spatial heterogeneity in data.
General description: This session consists of a lecture and a practical exercise designed to provide an introduction to the ideas underlying geographically weighted exploratory techniques, in particular local statistics and principal component analysis. Although [prior knowledge of R is not a requirement, some familiarity may be helpful in working through the exercises and gaining an understanding of how various results are achieved.
Required back-ground knowledge:
Software / R packages required: sp, GWmodel, GISTools , robustbase, mvoutlier, RColorBrewer
- Paul Harris, Annemarie Clarke, Steve Juggins, Chris Brunsdon, Martin Charlton (2015)
Enhancements to a Geographically Weighted Principal Component Analysis in the Context of an Application to an Environmental Data Set
Geographical Analysis 47(2); pp 146-172
- Paul Harris, Chris Brunsdon, Martin Charlton (2011)
Geographically weighted principal components analysis
International Journal of Geographical Information Science 25(10); pp 1717-1736
- Also check out references in the practicals
Practicals - as web pages:
- http://rpubs.com/chrisbrunsdon/99667 - GW Summary Statistics
- http://rpubs.com/chrisbrunsdon/99675 - GW PCA
- http://rpubs.com/chrisbrunsdon/101305 - GWR
Practicals - as PDFs:
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/6moqb2wmmkf3qqk/GWSSprac.pdf?dl=0 - GW Summary Statistics
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwedphyskzcwqp4/GWPCAprac.pdf?dl=0 - GW PCA
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/5x98dg2gq07srnf/GWRprac.pdf?dl=0 - GWR
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/x77w1gyuqebd9oc/GWSStalk.pdf?dl=0 - GW Summary Statistics
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/34t4si3le1frmsz/GWPCATalk.pdf?dl=0 - GW PCA
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms56nbu1jokwqf4/GWRTalk.pdf?dl=0 - GWR
For reproducibility - the Rmarkdown files I used to create the practicals:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zhwohck37v1ot8/GWRprac.Rmd?dl=0 - GWR Practical
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffmefz0cww28wn5/GWSSprac.Rmd?dl=0 - GWSS Practical
https://www.dropbox.com/s/majvg8t99tbdsnd/GWPCAprac.Rmd?dl=0 - GWPCA Practical
NB. You will need to comment out the part incorporating the Maynooth University land NCG logo...
Materials from friday's talk:
Markdown demos: You'll need to install GISTools
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w9cqxtr2r32ebv/demo2.Rmd?dl=0 - Sliders for point size and transparency.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4sgb78zl9to7bu/demo3.Rmd?dl=0 - Button to 'scramble' data
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhym7mlbeyc37q2/demo4.Rmd?dl=0 - Hand-drawn maps - will need devtools::install_github('chrisbrunsdon/caricRture')