The GEOSTAT Split 2017 Summer School is 12th in a series of summer schools organized by R and Open Source (OS) GIS developers and enthusiasts. GEOSTAT aims at PhD students and researchers in a range of environmental and GIS sciences, especially those focusing on analyzing spatial and spatio-temporal gridded data in R and OS GIS.
The registrations are now closed. If you have not yet received an e-mail from the organizers, please contact us here a.s.a.p.. There are at the moment still ca 5 places open for this Summer School. To register for the waiting list please go here.
The topics include: spatial and spatio-temporal data and analysis in R, spatial and spatio-temporal geostatistics, processing large rasters and big data analytics in R, QGIS, RQGIS software tutorials, overview of machine learning methods in R, visualization of spatial and spatio-temporal data in Google Earth. This summer school is limited to 55 participants. In the case of higher number of registrations, applicants will be ranked based on: (1) their contribution to the FOSS, (2) academic output, (3) distance to the venue and (4) time of registration.
The GEOSTAT 2017 will include:
- Training sessions / R package and GIS software tutorials;
- Discussion sessions;
- Spatial prediction competition game;
- Orientation game;
- Excursion (outdoor hiking);
The Summer school will be held on:
- Sun 13th August — Sat 19 August 2017 (arrival Sunday, departure Sunday; 7 night accommodation)
Other important dates:
- April 15th 2017 — Registration deadline;
- end of April 2017 — Invitation letters send to applicants;
- May 15th 2017 — Deadline for settling registration fees (working programme confirmed);
- July 15th 2017 — Final programme, data sets and exercises published;
Note: August is a season high period and advanced booking of flights and similar travel arrangements are highly advised.
The registrations fees are usually around 550 EUR (invoice will be sent after registrations). Registration fees cover costs of using facilities, lunch and coffee breaks and costs of travel and accommodation for lecturers. Participants from ODA countries (employed by an organization or company in ODA-listed country) typically receive a subsidized price for the accommodation and registration costs. GEOSTAT makes no profit. All lecturers are volunteers. None of the lecturers receives any honorarium payment or is contracted by the local organizers.
MEDILS Split | Meštrovićevo šetalište 45, HR – 21000 Split, Croatia The Mediterranean Institute for Life Sciences – MedILS is a life science institute in Split, Croatia, envisioned as an international centre of excellence for molecular biology. It is located in a park on one of the most beautiful stretches of Croatia's Adriatic coast.
Limited number of shared bedrooms (6–7) is available at MEDILS for room sharing. Participants that express a wish for accommodation at the institute and that accept room sharing can opt for accommodation at MEDILS. Accommodation can be booked through several local travel agencies. Recommended hotel for participants is:
- Hotel Cornaro (http://www.cornarohotel.com/)
A list of hotels in the proximity of MEDILS can be also found via: http://www.visitsplit.com/en
Provisional programme subject to modifications.
Day 0: Sunday 13 August
- Organized collection of arrivals from Split airport
Day 1: Monday 14 August
- Introduction day (spatial and spatiotemporal classes and methods)
- Spatial Prediction Competition Game (SPCG)
- Mapping/Graphics Gallery Competition (MGC)
- Crash course in R
Day 2-4: Tuesday 15 to Thursday 18 August
- QGIS and RQGIS tutorials
- Geocomputing with large rasters in R: parallelization, model optimization, upscaling and automation
- Bayesian Spatial and Spatiotemporal modelling in R
- RMarkdown/Sweave tutorials
- Docker (for R)
- RStudio and IPython Notebooks in containers
- Automated spatial prediction using Machine Learning Algorithms (MLA)
Day 5: Friday 18 August
- Open day
- Spatial Prediction Competition Game and Mapping/Graphics Competition award ceremony
Day 6: Saturday 19 August
- Group excursion